Saturday, November 17, 2007

Dear Kitty,

Okay, I have to say that this whole blogging thing is one more beast of business that I have decided to tackle. Mainly because I’m feeling a little behind the times by not doing one. It’s definitely not because I love to write about myself. Heck, I’m not even good at talking about myself or my business to other people. I’ve had a fear of public speaking since my Com 101 class in college. I was so petrified I had to take a shot of tequila to get up the nerve to give my speech in front of 20 other people. YES, tequila! I got an “A” by the way. Thanks Jose!

I have NEVER been a diary kind of girl. I was always more of a “wannabe” in that department. I would go out and buy the prettiest book and a really cool pen, vowing to write down my most intimate thoughts and adding my list of “thankfuls” for the day. Just like Oprah tells you to do. And after about two days, it would find its permanent parking spot on my nightstand. I did always seem to steal the really cool pen though. At least it wasn’t a total waste. I love pens!

I couldn’t ever figure out what to write. I mean my life is not that interesting and I felt a little silly writing to um, Kitty (remember the Kitty Diaries with the lock and key?). I mean do you address it to yourself….. Do you talk in first person, third person? What’s the deal?

Well this is all leading up to my point. Which is…..there are a lot of really good blogs out there that have some wonderful advice and some “priceless” information. I’ve met some wonderful people through blogs. People I wouldn’t have met otherwise. I’ve found a place where I don’t feel so isolated and also where I can go to get answers. A year ago this month, ya another anniversary, I met one of my dearest friends because of a blog. I read her blog from cover to cover, so to speak, and felt as if we had been working side by side the whole time! Really! There wasn’t one post that I couldn’t have written myself. It was spooky! She had me at “Hello”. She had me cracking up!

I felt compelled to write her and thank her for sharing all her trials and tribulations. I never thought she’d write back. But she did, almost immediately and we have been fast friends ever since. In fact, we talk daily. We email, IM or call each other every day. She lives on the West coast and I’m on the East. About 80% of it is business related and the other 10% is just plain gossip. We are in the same industry and share almost all of the same channels. We even design and sell similar products. So in reality, she is my competition, but as she would say “we are friendly competitors”. The advice we give and get from each other has helped us both grow.

If there’s one thing having two teenage boys has taught me, it’s that (unlike us) technology doesn’t mature. It’s constantly reincarnated. You have to stay on top of it in order to stay on top of your business, your competition and your ever-changing goals. So do yourself and your business a favor and spend some time searching for related blogs. Read them, read the comments and even leave a couple yourself. It will get you thinking in ways you never thought before and you will more than likely meet a great friend or two.

4 comments:

Liz Snowden said...

No pressure, but Jamie mentions you all the time, so I am going to be watching! I am adding you to my sidebar, so you may get some other visitors, too! :)

London E said...

Thanks Liz! Ahhh, the pressure......of a blog! I hope i can live up to it :O Thanks for reading and thank you very much for the link!

michelle allen said...

your doing great so far! i have to agree with you on the whole talking about yourself/your business thing. my husband always yells at me after we leave a gathering where someone asked me what I do. i have always tried to quickly divert the attention away from myself so I tend to poo poo what i do so they'll move on. blogging has pushed me to write more, think more... i'm glad you're blogging and I'm looking forward to getting to know you and Jamie better.

Anonymous said...

Ah shucks sista - you are one of the reasons I blog so much! You are so on the right track! I can tell...and keep up with the stories of the past six years - good bad and ugly (yes I know all of them) but I know others could so learn from them! Welcome to the blogosphere!